Friday

Calum: 'Down in Devil's Alley'


Ok well, Quicklime News asked me to put sumink down for da blog, and I chose dis. In Cracktown da Drug Pit and Devil’s Alley, nearby, have a loooong history.

Devil’s Alley, named 500 years ago or sumink, is a thin bit of wasteland surrounded by brickwork & silos. You cant see inside it anywhere cept da only entranceway nr Paradise Lane. You cant evn see inside it without a torch – even daytime. Dere’s also big blox of derelict buildings round it & da whole area iz close 2 falling down. No-one iz allowed 2 enter it officially as its so unsafe. I remember when I wus a nippr – running fast as possible past da alley after skool cuz of da stories sed bout it. I wuz told by my gran that dere hav been sightings & hearings of tall blackened devils marching down da darkest part of da alley at nite. Only da dumb wud walk down there wen its dark.

Dere wuz dat kid Simon Qwerty who disappeared 1 nite 4 years ago. Dey found his trousers & shoes inside da entrance of da alleyway. Spooky. It has been sed dat he wuz left dere by sum right bastard, strung up by his wrists near da entrance of da subteraneen tunnel half-way down da alley. Ya see, der’s a lot of talkin bout sacrifices or body parts left for da tall devils at dat very spot. Dey say dat if you offer da tall ones some human meat dey give u a gift so dat u live forever.

Da Drug Pit, which is nearby, is not much better. I often go down dere wit me brethren Liam, A-Jay & Tariq & cane some salvia & a bit of blow of a nite. Not in da place itself – a lot of screams herd from da darkest cornerz of da pit. No way hozay. Never been down dere yet. Also I see some Babylon around 2 much, so don’t hang round dere as much as I used 2. Da drug pit itself is thin section of covered land where dere used to be a seed factory. Bout 200 steps from Devils Alley. Smashed glass, trashed silo innards, wires & bricks all over da place, coverd in puke/piss/shit. Tramps stay no longer than a day in dis area b4 dey fink dey better go elsewhere. Bad feelingz all round.

Anyways, Cracktown Devils Alley. As a part of dis, I wuz paid by da newspaper to rite up bit bout da history of it. Dun that, but I thought I’d giv u geezers some up-2-date tales of what’s been goin on down in da both places, so here we go…

My cousin sez that, wen he wuz on da dragon for 3 years, he often took his works down da Drug Pit & sat on da white ledge to shoot up. Da white ledge is apparently da place that u sit & get stoned & not be forced 2 scream, innit. Like da other poor barstard crackwhores and stoners. So much misery, he sez. But best place to score in Cracktown. Next best place is with da Swaffhamites near da Lilith Woods, but dats a fair drive aways.

ANYWAYs, my cousin sez that 1 nite he & his shooting bud, after gettin high, both found a door in da ground (near back of a Silo) dat took them down under Drug Pit – a sort of tunnel. He went down there after bustin’ da lock – he sez it wuz a real old lock that wuz strong but hadn been open for 100 years or sumink. ANYWAYs, he went down dere an couldn see nufink. Pitch black as a raven. So he turnd his Mobile Centre on & lit da tunnel up wit his user-lite. He swung da camera round da area to see & thats wen he saw it. A bloke wuz just standin dere in da tunnel, breathin real funny but just standin dere wit white starin eyes. My cousin thought it wuz tooo much salvia he took bit earlier. Imaginin it, like. But da bloke wit da white eyes wuz walkin slowly towards my cousin wit da cold breath showing in da air. My cousin took da shot below wit his Ericsson Mobile Centre b4 runnin back up da tunnel & got out da door before his shooting bud came down. Dey slammd da door shut & put bricks on it to stop da white eye man from comin back up to get em. Then dey scarpered. Ran in da nite as fast as dey could.

Here’s da shot my cousin took dat nite…

His homey gang still say 2 dis day dat my cousin actually went right underground 2 Devils Alley by dat tunnel & saw a tall devil. Dunno if dat trapdoor is still dere. My cousin quit dragon soon after & nevr went down dere again.

Antother story involves Damon Qwerty, Simon’s bro. Dis is a well-nown story. & my last one 4 dis piece, innit. Damon wuz my age. Probs at school. Abuse. Drugz. All da lot. ANYWAYs, Damon Qwerty was an asshole an tosser of da highest order. Didn pay dealers & shit. Got beaten up at school cuz he wuz a freak. Caught wearin lipstick. Ponce. He wuzn’t a man like me, 4 instance. He went down to Drug Pit 1 nite 2 years ago. He always believed his bro Simon wuz still around – he once claimd 2 hav seen him with da tall devils in da alley but never sed he actually went down dere himself ever b4, nor wot it wuz like down dere. Damon went down to Drug Pit, like I sed, & took loadz of salvia accordin 2 my other cousin who saw im dat nite. After a skinful of Ole Sal, Damon took his torch & staggered out of da pit & stumbled into da Alley nearby, screamin for his bro Simon 2 be given back. Dis wuz around midnite. People saw his torchlite go everywhere & often pointed 2 da skies wid it, so people cud tell he wuz deep down in da alley. Then it all went dark & deadly quiet like. No whimper nor scream cud be herd.

Damon wuz missing for 7 days b4 he wuz seen tumblin out of da Alley & collapsing in Paradise Lane durin a cold dark nite. His trousers & shoes wer gone & his hair had turnd pure white. He nevr spoke of his bro again. In fact, after his stint in hospital, he nevr spoke again period. Damon can, 2 dis day, often be seen sittin/rockin under da Paradise Lane street-lite at nite.

No-one evr speaks 2 him now tho.

Some say it wuz 2 much of da Ole Sal dat nite, a pure mix 4 a snow overdose & he wuz in sum kinda coma 4 dat lost week. I say no - I agree wit da rumours. He saw his bro dat nite in da Alley, alrite. But his bro Simon, missin for 3 years by then, had changed. Simon wuz much taller now.


Calum
[Quicklime offices]
p.s. I went down Drug Pit again 2 days ago & dere wuz nufink but graff & needle trash by da silos. I found no trapdoor & saw no1 around. Will prob go again soon & report back here with wot I see.